Oral Fixation: Nalgenes, Rattles, and Toes

Oral fixations abound. Now that they’re sprouting teeth (well, D-Fresh has got 3, and a 4th coming in, while Baby Girl is struggling with her 1st, I think), they mouth EV.ER.Y.THING. I suppose I should be more diligent about what the babies put in their mouths, but these days anything that keeps them occupied is good enough for me. But, A now has her first official cold, and I suspect D is close behind, so I need to pay attention when they start to reach for library books, leaves, and people’s fingers.

Any words of wisdom about keeping fussy, sick-y babies relatively happy would be much appreciated!

4 thoughts on “Oral Fixation: Nalgenes, Rattles, and Toes

• October 22, 2011 at 11:44 pm

So cute! I remember when my daughter used to eat her feet…now she has absolutely no interest in her feet. Can’t believe how fast they grow up!

• October 22, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Aside from the nose frida and possibly some saline drops (expressed breastmilk can be dripped in their noses, too, but I usually keep messing w them to a minimum, and the nose frida gives enough relief so they can nurse)

Anyway- aside from that, I would focus more on keeping yourself healthy because being sick as a mom is waaaaaaaay worse than having sick kids (unless they are super scary sick). They probably will be a little pathetic, very gross (how do they not care that they have snot all over them???), but kind of oblivious except for wanting to nurse more (both to feel better and because it is difficult to nurse well when they can’t breathe through their noses – which leads me back to caring for yourself because the latching on and off repeatedly to breathe can drive me nuts with one baby!

Also, you will be encrusted in snot. Mentally prepare! Sick babies. Blech. Only a mother could love them!

(this is a totally helpful post right? I hope you are reading this with a sarcastic voice. Otherwise it just sounds scary or rude!)

• October 23, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I second the comment about being covered in snot! Another indignity of motherhood. I agree too that sick babies seem to be kind of oblivious. When Leo was sick I basically nursed him nonstop, and that did seem to make him feel better. They’re little troopers, really–I guess being a baby is even more undignified than being a mother, and snot is just another bodily fluid over which they have little control. 😉 I hope they feel better soon!

• October 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Hope they feel better soon…I am on number five and just go with flow for each one:)

Tiffany